[texbirds] Re: Oiled Birds

  • From: Stenmead@xxxxxxx
  • To: wbburkett@xxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:20:47 -0400 (EDT)

Thank you for the first hand report Winnie! So glad you are on top of
this!  Do you know if anyone is checking the western shore and or south  jetty?

Stennie Meadours
San Leon

In a message dated 3/23/2014 1:10:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
wbburkett@xxxxxxx writes:
Oiled  Sanderlings, Ruddy Turnstones, White Pelicans and scaup were found
at Bolivar  Flats. We walked the whole beach and some of the North Jetty and
did not find  any oil. Sanderlings and Turnstones feed on jetties so they
picked the oil up  somewhere else. I have seen some oiled Laughing Gulls at
the end of the  peninsula closest to the spill. There are many birds in the
area around the  boats working on the spill so there will probably be more
oiled birds found. A  team from the USFWS will be trying to capture and clean
the oiled  birds.

Winnie

Winnie Burkett
Friendswood & the  Bolivar Peninsula

Reposting of traffic from  TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
from the List  Owner