[texbirds] Re: Of class and cameras - my last words on this subject

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx" <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 23:21:03 -0400

All -

There are very few of us that do NOT have a camera in their cell phone, and it
need not be a smart phone.  Virtually ALL of the camera phones that I have
messed with at bird festivals on the past 10 years will give a serviceable ID
photo when held up to a spotting scope eyepiece, and even a binocular.

If you have a bird that needs recording, snap a cell phone shot through you
birding optics.   Will ithe resulting image make the cover of Audubon Magazine?
  Unless that bird is an Ivory-billed Woodpecker, heck no!   Will it help the
TBRC decide to accept your out-of-range or out-of-season bird record?   Yes, if
you knew how to operate the system, it probably will.

I got into birding AS a photographer, and in the 1970s virtually NO birders
carried a camera.  In an era when you were "supposed to" take notes and make
drawings, about 1% of my birding associates did.   I was the >1% that carried a
camera.  Not so anymore.

No excuses for not at least TRYING to get an image of that IBWO flying across
the road in E TX.

Clay Taylor
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx