[texbirds] Odd duck at Anahuac NWR

  • From: Justin Bower <justinbower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 13:25:21 -0500

I made an unscheduled to at Anahuac NWR last Friday, since I was in the
area for a seminar. I had no photo gear or binoculars other than an old
beat up pair of generic ones I keep in my glove compartment for this sort
of occasion.
As I was rounding the SW corner of Shoveler pond, I noticed another fellow
out looking at birds (sorry I didn't get your name!), and I stopped to chat
and stretch my legs. While we were scanning the marsh, a small duck came
into view about 30 feet away from us on the pond side of the road between
the vegetation and the road.

It was weaving in and out of some vegetation, and as I said, I had really
bad optics, but what I could note in the 20 seconds or so before it
disappeared under the water and back into the vegetation, were  the
following:  two contrast-y, distinct horizontal lines across the face, one
that looked to be going through the eye; barred patterned plumage on the
back, warmer-colored plumage on the neck; small form similar to a Ruddy
Duck but lack of the full "cap" over the eye like a Ruddy; and general duck
shape (as compared to say, a juvenile grebe or something that might have
similar markings).

The gentleman and I both whipped out our guidebooks, and eventually came to
the decision that we couldn't come to a decision because we hadn't gotten
the best looks at it or photos. I wasn't comfortable calling it a Masked
Duck from the field observation alone, let alone the rarity/likelihood of
seeing one. I think we both were considering the same thing, though, as
there was a moment when we both looked up form our guides, and he said
"they'd never believe us" with a chuckle. It was also a windy day, and who
know what the effects of ruffled feathers on a female Ruddy, etc, might
have been.

So, this is not a report of a Masked Duck, since I don't have the level of
certainty I would want before making such a claim. However, if anyone is in
the vicinity of Anahuac, you might want to keep your eyes out in Shoveler
Pond.

Justin Bower
Houston