[texbirds] Re: Observing migrating birds using weather forecasting technology

  • From: Stenmead@xxxxxxx
  • To: jarvin@xxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 17:27:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Friday, 3-14-14 at Aransas NWR there were  White-eyed Vireos  seen and
heard at every location. The most striking Yellow-throated Warbler I've  ever
seen and a Virginia Rail were found along the Rail Trail.

On Saturday, 3-15-14 we found nesting Purple Martins at Magnolia Beach. We
also saw  White-eyed Vireos calling and popping up everywhere as well  as a
beautiful Northern Parula at Magic Ridge. (First time there..it is truly
magic! And the first time I've seen Boat-tailed and Great-tailed Grackles
calling side by side.  Hope to go back soon. CTC #6, South Texas Project
Wetlands had Northern-Roughwings, Barn, Cliff and Tree Swallows dipping down
for
 drinks of water with some bathing.

Today, Sunday, 3-16-14, at home in San Leon, I have the FOS Male
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird coming to feeders.

Stennie Meadours
San Leon

In a message dated 3/16/2014 3:40:21 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jarvin@xxxxxxxx writes:
Darn! I  should have posted yesterday's yesterday's observations. I did
check the  upper winds at the western Gulf of Mexico
Brownsville, TX to New Orleans,  LA and the NEXRAD (weather radar W88-D)
radar images at about mid  afternoon and saw that moderate numbers of
trans-Gulf migrants were  approaching all stations.Reports from the ground
(see especially Ron Weeks  reporting from Sabine Woods at Sabine Pass and
Chuck Sexton inland along  the Medina River just south of San Antonio for
those reporting to  Texbirds.I will add LABIRD-L permission permitted for
future postings.  Today the strongish front has cleared most of the
coastline and no  trans-Gulf migrants are indicated on NEXRAD. I usually
begin to report  bird migration observed using weather forecasting
technology about March  20th but this season's early migration caught me by
surprise. Please pass  along ground-truthing information. It helps to
fine-tune the information  coming from the various weather services.
John C. Arvin
Research  Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 West Hwy 332
Lake Jackson,  TX 77566
jarvin@xxxxxxxx
www.gcbo.org

Austin,  Texas

Reposting of traffic from  TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
from the List  Owner