[texbirds] Re: Observation and video of singing Loggerhead Shrike

  • From: Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SeEttaM ." <seettam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:30:34 -0600

Hi SeEtta,
Shrikes will sing in winter, a while before breeding starts in many cases.
There may be some winter breeding in the Valley (something I haven't had
time to look at), but the main breeding season seems to be April-July. I
think pairing may occur in winter, or perhaps territory establishment. It
is interesting that we generally don't hear shrikes singing in the the main
breeding season.

No definite answers, just what I have seen or am guessing. One other thing
to mention is that shrikes have really increased as breeders in the LRGV in
the last decade or so, at a time when they remain rare in many
eastern/midwestern states. This is one bird that will use the
suburban/urban office park/school campus habitat of mown grass with
scattered trees--also used by Tropical Kingbirds in some cases.

Regards,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX