[texbirds] Nutmeg Mannikins

  • From: Linda Rippert <rippert@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 21:25:39 -0500

****** MESSAGE POSTED TO THE OLD LIST *******

My son JD was out front cleaning his car this afternoon and heard some
bird sounds he says were different from the normal sounds we hear.  He
came in and got his camera to take some pictures.  There was a family--mom
and pop and two juveniles in a Crepe Myrtle tree in the neighbor's back
yard.  He put the pictures on his computer, and we looked in the books to
get an ID.  They were nutmeg mannikins which we had never seen here in
Meadows Place, TX before.  Several weeks ago we visited Kleb Woods in
northwest Houston and were able to view some of these birds in a cage in
their office at the nature center.  They were so tiny and so neat!  It was
a real treat to have them in this area visiting.

When we went outside a couple of hours later, there were no bird sounds at
all in that yard.  We'll check again tomorrow and see if we find them
again.  JD and I are planning to visit Brazos Bend State Park tomorrow
morning to see if the cold front that came through here yesterday left
some neat birds there too.

Linda Rippert
Meadows Place, TX
East Ft. Bend Co.

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds