[texbirds] Re: Nutmeg Mannikin, candidate for the official state list

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jackeitniear@xxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 12:09:07 -0700 (PDT)

Jack,  you are probably aware there are large urban areas in which not a single
native species is present beyond an occasional mocker and mourning dove. Any new
bird like the mannikin is fitting into a population that is formerly exotic.
Not
threatening
our natives, but our more established "exotics" like starlings.
Some of these formerly exotics are not doing well in their native land, so our
urban areas are
the better choice by default. English house sparrows, for example.

Personally, I love to see more variety and color. Every living thing has the
right to live.
Including cowbirds.

Carolyn Dill
Houston