[texbirds] Not-so-common Paraque at Utopia

  • From: mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 19:12:15 -0700

Hi all,

A not very common here Common Paraque has been around our place
the last 3 days, or evenings more accurately.  The last couple
nights it just gave some brief calls, but Sunday (the first)
night we got the full monty show as I gave my patented Paraque
call and it reacted better than well, circling overhead at 8'
calling, landing in trees and on power pole and calling, for
long enough to get a snippet of audio tape of it.

I heard one once prior (in July ('12 maybe)) up here in the hills
in 11 years though wouldn't be surprised if it was far more regular
than reported in southern Uvalde County down in the brush country.
At least it seems to be roosting over in the mesquite instead of
in the junipers.

Mitch Heindel
Utopia