[texbirds] Notes from the coast 8/15/14

  • From: "Winnie" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wbburkett@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:58:05 -0400 (EDT)

The Bolivar Peninsula is very birdy today. I noticed that there were lots more
Brown Pelicans then usual yesterday so today I counted and there were 531 Brown
Pelicans feeding between High Island and Rollover and 1320 sitting on the
islands in Rollover Bay. We have had large numbers in August before maybe it is
end of the breeding season or maybe lots of fish off shore what ever it is that
is a lot of pelicans.

We have lots of dragonflies and last night there were 36 nighthawks between
Rettilon and 22nd street in Port Bolivar this is 1 1/2 miles it is the most
nighthawks I have seen together in a long time. They seemed to be chasing
dragonflies. There was a harrier and a Barn Owl feeding over the marsh.

High Island has little flocks of migrants in both Boy Scout Woods and Smith
Oaks I had 5 species of warblers, gnatcatchers, orioles and empids. I have
trouble with empids. there were some Leasts and others they weren't vocal but I
could hear their bills snapping as they found things to eat. Cuckoos, Eastern
Kingbirds and Great-crested Flycatchers were busy feeding and easy to see. A
Broad-winged Hawk was soaring over the town.

There are fairly large groups of what are probably migrating swallows up and
down the peninsula.

Oh yes Bolivar Flats is busy.

Fall migration at it's finest.

Winnie Burkett