[texbirds] Notes from the coast 12/4/2013

  • From: Winnie <wbburkett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 09:44:52 -0500 (EST)

The Bolivar Peninsula was very birdy yesterday. Fog made birding a little more
challenging. From the North Jetty we watched lots of Black-bellied Plovers
catching long worms.
This is a list Bolivar Flats we birded from the jetty and the beach

Bolivar Flats Shorebird Sanctuary (UTC 058), Galveston, US-TX
Dec 4, 2013 9:20 AM - 12:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Comments:     foggy day with many birds and challenging light
51 species (+3 other taxa)

Mottled Duck  2
Northern Shoveler  25
Neotropic Cormorant  15
American White Pelican  26
Brown Pelican  18
Great Blue Heron  5
Great Egret  6
Snowy Egret  8
Little Blue Heron  1
Tricolored Heron  1
Reddish Egret  2
Roseate Spoonbill  1
Osprey  1
Northern Harrier  4
Clapper Rail  2
Black-necked Stilt  28
American Avocet  6000     estimate
American Oystercatcher  3
Black-bellied Plover  69
Piping Plover  2
Killdeer  3
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Greater Yellowlegs  3
Willet  28
Lesser Yellowlegs  5
Long-billed Curlew  2
Marbled Godwit  57
Sanderling  250
Dunlin  150
Western Sandpiper  55
Short-billed/Long-billed Dowitcher  7
shorebird sp.  3000     light and distance made identification impossible
Laughing Gull  712
Ring-billed Gull  21
Herring Gull  5
Caspian Tern  2