[texbirds] Notes from High Island 12/1/12

  • From: Winnie <wbburkett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 20:32:26 -0500 (EST)

We were standing around getting ready for today's work day when Bernice,
Barbara and I heard a strange call. We were looking for the bird when a
woodpecker flew over with white patches in the middle of his wings, Ed saw
white on his face. We went to get our binos out of the cars and went looking
for the bird. We did not refind it but listened to calls on Barbara's phone and
all felt it was an Acorn Woodpecker. There are a lot of acorns there.

While Houston was working on Don's Drip a Black-throated Gray Warbler landed in
the cypress just above his head. We all got good looks at this bird and it
stayed in the area for a while and is probably still there. Late morning there
was a corvid calling out by Smith Pond. By the time we put tools down, grabbed
binos and went looking it had stopped calling. It sounded more like a raven
then a crow.

There was a nice assortment of wintering birds around including warblers, both
kinglets, Red-breasted Nuthatches and a creeper.

If you bird with your binos on they get dirty if you don't have them near by
you miss things.

Winnie Burkett
Friendswood & the Bolivar Peninsula