[texbirds] Northern Jacana at Estero Llano Grande SP 09/27/15

  • From: Rex Stanford <calidris.bairdii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 19:44:51 -0500

Thanks are due both John Brush (reporter) and Mary Gustafson (relaying) for
an alert early this morning on TEXBIRDS about the continuing presence today
(09/27/15) of the Northern Jacana juvenile at Estero Llano Grande State
Park. This was especially good news because, judging by all the sources I
have available, there were no reports of this bird yesterday, despite
extensive searching. I am sure many birders were grateful to have this
alert. A number of birders who, myself included, had sought in vain for
this jacana at the park yesterday, found it there today. In my case,
reading this good news was very important, for without it I likely would
not have gone out for it today. Although I had seen this bird a week
earlier (Sunday, 09/2015), I very wanted some better photos. Thanks to the
prompt alert early this morning--and the cooperation of this exciting
bird--I was able spend over an hour at Ibis Pond this morning observing
and photographing the jacana. Glad to say, many others were present, as
well, enjoying and photographing this very photogenic avian youngster.
Thanks, again, John and Mary, for providing the early alert!
Also meriting gratitude are the numerous kind individuals who helped others
to find this bird initially and/or who helped those who had lost sight of
it to relocate it. I was among the appreciative recipients of help of both
kinds. Thanks! -- Rex Stanford (Weslaco, TX).