[texbirds] North Brazos County

  • From: Rick Laughlin <richard.laughlin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rio Brazos Audubon <brazosaudubon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 18:47:32 -0500

All,
I took the nice weather this morning to cover the northern half of Brazos
County in search of anything that might be out there. My route went out to
the northeast of the county including A&M Riverside Campus, TX21 at the
county line, the fields along Sandy Point Rd, Lake Bryan, and OSR Rd. It
was really more of a crop report, with corn and sorghum benefiting from the
recent rains... and easily hiding the usual suspects in agricultural areas
(DICKCISSLE, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, LARK SPARROW, BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD,
KILLDEER). The highlight of the morning was a small flock of UPLAND
SANDPIPERS in the turf farm along Sandy Point Rd. I have some surprisingly
bad pictures
<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Nz5oUOprhS_zdI4Uh4U0OdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink>
(3
total) and a video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBC1oRHPQBY> of these
birds- didn't expect UPSA this time of year, but I couldn't make them into
anything else. I'd appreciate any other opinions on them.

The remainder of the trip covered the NE portion of the county, including
Deep Well Rd, Ferrill Creek Rd, Hudspeth Rd, Wilcox Ln, and Dilly Shaw Tap
Rd. This portion of the trip was unremarkable, with the exception of a
CRESTED CARACARA being ridden/attacked by a SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER for
about 10 seconds. I never realized how dogmatic STFL were about raptors...
later in the day my wife and I saw 12-15 STFL escorting a Red-shouldered
Hawk away from their power line perches.

Good birds,

Rick Laughlin
College Station