[texbirds] Nice Red River Birds in Wilbarger County.

  • From: Brady Surber <supersurber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 14:56:58 -0500

Hi all,

My Tiffany Dyer and myself drove to the Red River this morning to try and add a
few more species to my county list and to the Greater Wilbarger County list. I
was specifically targeting four species of birds in particular:

Red-eyed Vireo-should be common along the riparian areas but has not been
recorded in the county, despite its abundance in several nearby counties and
Oklahoma.

Fish Crow-Has been expanding its range up the Red River so it made it onto the
list to look for.

Prothonotary Warbler-Breeds just one or two counties away downstream along the
river.

Yellow-breasted Chat- No record for the county.

The results:

Dipped on the Vireo(annoying).

Got the other 3.  As soon as I got out of my truck I had a Prothonotary Warbler
singing. I presume this bird is or has been breeding here.

After walking downstream a couple hundred yards from the bridge I had three
different Chats calling in three different locations. These birds were
obviously singing territory which means a new breeder for the county.

Fish Crow was definitely the bird of the morning. I was hoping but nor really
expecting to find one. I found at least two Fish Crows. Heard first then after
a few minutes we saw one then a few more listens and finally one more look.

Nice additions to the list. This definitely means more trips up to and along
the river are in order.

Assuming the Chats and Prothonotary Warbler are breeders is quite interesting
as 93 years ago there were no breeding warblers of any species according to
R.L. More and J.K. Strecker in their Summer Birds of Wilbarger County (1929).

Good birdin' y'all,

Brady Surber
Vernon, TX