[texbirds] New hummingbird in central Austin

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:26:15 -0600

Due to lack of activity I had gotten lazy about maintaining my hummingbird
feeders. Yesterday I cleaned them out and replaced the mold-infested nectar
with new. Today a hummer I hadn't seen before began to visit them. I was
looking with bare eyes and did not positively identify the bird, but it was
not a Selasphotus (Rufous/Allens) which is the default winter hummer in
Austin. It was either a first year male Archilochus (Ruby-throated or
Black-chinned) or an Annas. I will keep an eye out and advise.
jca
John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory