[texbirds] Re: New cryptic (was) now White-winged Field Sparrow

  • From: mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 14:23:20 -0700

Hi Fred, and all

This is really interesting ......   to me because I had TWO white-winged
Field Sparrows at our (old) place here in Utopia from over a year ago to
about two years ago.  One was present at least a year, they showed up as
just-fledged juveniles.  No adult I saw had the feature.  I did get a
digipic or two of them, though not very handy ATTM.

So how widespread or prevelant is this white winged gene in Field
Sparrow?
Does everyone see these regularly?  Are there geographic hotspots?
Wot's
the deal?

Mitch Heindel
Utopia