[texbirds] Nest dilemma etc

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 17:13:41 -0600

from a very elaborate nest in a coffee can literally less than 2 feet from
my door...It has three eggs....Problem is I have to use this door many
times per day and it ain't gonna work there....No where to relocate it to
nearby....Bummer.  So I decided to check one of the bird boxes the Titmice
were checking out back on Jan. 28...I flushed a chickadee that was brooding
4 eggs!!....What the heck?  It is only Feb 13......both of these beat the
earliest egg dates mentioned by BLOT (The Bird Life Of Texas) out the
Kazoo!   I thought birds bred (except in desert/monsoon regions) dependent
on length of day....For sure chickens depend on length of day to produce
well (artificial lighting keeps them producing ass year). Amazing stuff.  A
Red-bellied Woodpecker (fem.) is buzy creating a cavity.
  Had a large group of Snow, Ross's and a few White-fronteds in Lavaca
Co....a county where I rarely see them....They are short timers for the
coastal plain.

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist