[texbirds] Re: Need your knowledge

  • From: Amy Tsay <acstar.amy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stenmead@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:17:29 -0600

Stennie,
I may be misunderstanding the comment, but the Texas Parks and Wildlife
Department has a confidential database called the Texas Natural Diversity
Dataset which tracks rare/threatened/endangered species of all types. It
only accepts scientific data though so it is not completely thorough (which
is why I also use eBird as a resource).
Amy Tsay
Austin TX

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM, <Stenmead@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> All,
>
>  Another aspect of this issue is that there are no Texas or Federal
> agencies that manage bird sighting databases available for public entry or
>  access.
>
> Stennie Meadours
> San Leon
>

> In a message dated 11/15/2013 9:32:27 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> bavermeire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> All,
>
> From the GeoSearch website,  <http://geo-search.com/about-us>
>
> "GeoSearch provides customers  with fast, accurate, constructive informat
> ion to help assess and manage  environmental risk.
> To that end, we harvest information from a variety of  sources,
> cross-reference that information, and then compile and deliver it in  an
> easy-to-understand, manageable report."
>
> This company needs to know  about eBird, not the other way around!
>
> (Disclaimer: I have no other  interests or connections with this company
> other than what I read on their  website after a google search.)
>
> Betty Vermeire
> College Station,  TX
>

> ---- live4birds@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > Susan
> >
> > I  have never heard of Geosearch and a quick Internet search on my phone
> did not  find a useful link.
> >
> >  EBird data is widely used by state  and federal biologists in
> conservation planning.  It is used in the State  of the Birds reports and
> other data
> mining procedures.  AKN nodes (avian  knowledge network) are also used.
> >
> > Mary Gustafson
> >  Mission Texas
> >
> > (Stupid Spell Check and Auto Correct Provided  by iPhone)
> >
> > On Nov 15, 2013, at 8:04 AM, Susan Schaezler  <warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > > We had one  interesting event in the zoning hearing and I wanted to ask
> our talented  Texbirders.  This was the gist :
> > >
> > > "the  developer described ebird as being run by an out-of-state
> college, as if it's  a bad thing. You know, ivy leagues are unreliable. "
> > >
> >  > Their biologist continued by implying  it was for more novice/casual
> birders and wasn't reliable.  They use Geospace and since I didn't have a
> single bird listed, they were surprised.  I told them I had never heard  of
> it and all my birds are in Ebird and some get into the RBA
> > >
> > > The Commission members wanted me to see if I needed to enter  data
> somewhere else.  The developers saw the pictures of the birds, but  no
> data.
> > >
> > > So, please share your knowledge!
> >  >
> > > Susan Schaezler
> > > WarblerWoods.org
> > >  501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz/Guadalupe County
> > > Lone Star Land Steward  Winner 2011. GCBO Site Partner
> > > Life member TOS, SAAS, TASEdit  your Freelists account settings for
> TEXBIRDS at
> > >  //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
> > >
> > > Reposting of  traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
> [...]

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us.  When we
see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with
love and respect.  ~Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac