[texbirds] Re: Need your knowledge

  • From: Stenmead@xxxxxxx
  • To: bavermeire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx, live4birds@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 11:01:39 -0500 (EST)

All,

 Another aspect of this issue is that there are no Texas or Federal
agencies that manage bird sighting databases available for public entry or
access.

Stennie Meadours
San Leon

In a message dated 11/15/2013 9:32:27 A.M. Central Standard Time,
bavermeire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
All,

From the GeoSearch website,  <http://geo-search.com/about-us>

"GeoSearch provides customers  with fast, accurate, constructive informat
ion to help assess and manage  environmental risk.
To that end, we harvest information from a variety of  sources,
cross-reference that information, and then compile and deliver it in  an
easy-to-understand, manageable report."

This company needs to know  about eBird, not the other way around!

(Disclaimer: I have no other  interests or connections with this company
other than what I read on their  website after a google search.)

Betty Vermeire
College Station,  TX

---- live4birds@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Susan
>
> I  have never heard of Geosearch and a quick Internet search on my phone
did not  find a useful link.

>  EBird data is widely used by state  and federal biologists in
conservation planning.  It is used in the State  of the Birds reports and other
data
mining procedures.  AKN nodes (avian  knowledge network) are also used.

> Mary Gustafson
>  Mission Texas
>
> (Stupid Spell Check and Auto Correct Provided  by iPhone)
>
> On Nov 15, 2013, at 8:04 AM, Susan Schaezler  <warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > We had one  interesting event in the zoning hearing and I wanted to ask
our talented  Texbirders.  This was the gist :

> > "the  developer described ebird as being run by an out-of-state
college, as if it's  a bad thing. You know, ivy leagues are unreliable. "

>  > Their biologist continued by implying  it was for more novice/casual
birders and wasn't reliable.  They use Geospace and since I didn't have a
single bird listed, they were surprised.  I told them I had never heard  of
it and all my birds are in Ebird and some get into the RBA

> > The Commission members wanted me to see if I needed to enter  data
somewhere else.  The developers saw the pictures of the birds, but  no data.

> > So, please share your knowledge!
>  >
> > Susan Schaezler
> > WarblerWoods.org
> >  501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz/Guadalupe County
> > Lone Star Land Steward  Winner 2011. GCBO Site Partner
> > Life member TOS, SAAS, TASEdit  your Freelists account settings for
TEXBIRDS at