[texbirds] Re: Need your knowledge

  • From: Bruce Bodson <bruce.bodson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx" <warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx>, Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 07:49:53 -0800 (PST)

I'm not really clear on the overall context of this matter but I spent many
years as a planning and zoning commissioner in Missouri City.  This sort of
objection is usually raised when the developer wants to try and discredit data
that may be counter their plans.  Geosearch is one of those firms that provides
GIS data to environmental consultants.  The primary driver is avoidance of
CERCLA liability.  They can tell if there are Superfund sites, leaking
underground storage tanks, RCRA notifier sites, etc.  More recently they have
been using things like NWI data to locate wetlands and data bases from the NRCS
to locate CRP and WRP lands.  They are unlikely to have any viable information
on bird sightings.
Bruce Bodson
Missouri City, TX

On Friday, November 15, 2013 9:05 AM, Susan Schaezler <warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

We had one interesting event in the zoning hearing and I wanted to ask our
talented Texbirders.  This was the gist :

"the developer described ebird as being run by an out-of-state college, as if
it's a bad thing. You know, ivy leagues are unreliable. "

Their biologist continued by implying  it was for more novice/casual birders
and wasn't reliable.  They use Geospace and since I didn't have a single bird
listed, they were surprised.  I told them I had never heard of it and all my
birds are in Ebird and some get into the RBA

The Commission members wanted me to see if I needed to enter data somewhere
else.  The developers saw the pictures of the birds, but no data.

So, please share your knowledge!

Susan Schaezler
WarblerWoods.org
501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz/Guadalupe County
Life member TOS, SAAS, TASEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at