[texbirds] NW Austin (Travis Co.) highlights 6/8-6/9

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 14:41:45 -0700 (PDT)

Checked several NW Austin (Travis Co.) sites yesterday in hopes of kicking up
something new for my patch list.  Overall, I wasn't that successful, though I
did add 1 species to the patch list.  A summary of highlights:
I had 2 American Coot at Lake Fail (the retention pond near the junction of Hwy
183 and Mo-Pac, on the south side of the Arbor Walk mall).

The retention pond bordered by Alterra Parkway on the west, Burnet Rd on the
east, Gault Lane on the north, and Palm Way on the south looks like it could
have incredible potential.  Best viewing is to approach it from the south.  I
had 2 male Ruddy Ducks (1 was displaying), 2 Pied-billed Grebes, 9 American
Coot (including 1 chick, and romantic "activities" were observed between 2 of
the coot).  In the past I have had Least Grebe here and it looks like the
perfect spot for a bittern or gallinule.

An evening/dusk visit to Sandy Creek Park on Lake Travis turned up 1 Greater
Roadrunner, 1 Common Poowill (northeast corner of the park - it was actually
adjacent to the park across Lime Creek Rd), 4 Chuck-will's-widow, and 2 Rock
Wren (they successfully bred there this year).

On 6/9, I visited St. Edwards Park (NW Austin, Travis Co.).  Nothing too
unusual to report, though I did have a Yellow-throated Vireo and a Louisiana
Waterthrush.

Rich

Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy