[texbirds] NO Red-necked Phalarope 10/31

  • From: Bob White <bobwhitebsacbc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 08:46:30 -0600

I had planned a trip to Galveston Island SP six weeks ago. I don't know why we
didn't cancel. Yesterday morning there was a window between storms so I went
looking. No sign of it. There were several Black-bellied Plovers but nothing
else of interest. Perhaps the steady SW winds of 20+ mph all night caused it
to end up elsewhere.

The park staff brought out pumps to drain the campsites yesterday afternoon,
but it started again in the wee hours. As I type this, the water around my
trailer is up to the lower edge of the rims. If you're planning on looking for
the phalarope today I recommend waiting until noon or later.

I can see a Lesser Black-backed Gull from the window by my breakfast table.
It's with several Laughing Gulls in the standing water in the middle of the
road near the restrooms.

Bob White
Spring, TX