[texbirds] Mystery Owl? in Marfa on Sunday

  • From: "Tillman, Jane F" <mljt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 04:28:05 +0000

Had a great west Texas trip with TOS, and while picnicking in Marfa around 1:00
p.m. Sunday, in the Travis Self Memorial Park, heard a very odd sound which my
husband and I finally traced to a large deciduous tree behind a home in the 200
block of East Oak Street (2 houses away from a car wash if you go looking for
it). I believe the address was 209.

It sounded very much like an Eastern Screech Owl, and vocalized frequently
while we sat in the park and then continued when we went to track it down about
1:30. It responded to playback of an Eastern Screech Owl.

It did not sound like the Elf Owl that vocalized in the Davis Mountains State
Park the four nights we camped there, nor does it sound like the recordings
that I am familiar with of Western Screech Owl. I can't explain why this bird
was vocalizing so much in bright sunshine.

I did make a few sound recordings on my iPhone 3 that I am still figuring out
how to share-one captures part of a descending whinny, but if you are
interested, I can send them to your cell phone. Maybe it is not an owl at all?

Great highlights of west Texas in addition to the west Texas specialties we saw
and heard:  the Rose-breasted Grosbeak at the Davis Mountains State Park, the
singing Swainson's Thrush in the riparian area below the State Park on the way
to Ft. Davis, and another Swainson's Thrush singing at Balmorhea State Park
today by the fruiting mulberry trees in front of the San Solomon Court.

Jane Tillman
Austin