[texbirds] Re: Mystery Hawk ID

  • From: "Sanchez, Isaac C" <sanchez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 17:09:27 +0000

In case you were wondering, the consensus  opinion, as well as that of  several
experts, is that this a juvenile Cooper's Hawk.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaaccsanchez/sets/72157634974791348/
I don't disagree.

My only comment is that this Cooper's has the largest wing span I have ever
seen. To my eye, accipiters seem to have wing spans that look short relative to
their body length (not very scientific and completely antidotal). Obviously,
this bird appears to be an exception, at least to my eye.  For example, see the
VIREO photos of the Cooper's Hawk:
http://vireo.ansp.org/search.html?Form=Search&SEARCHBY=Common&KEYWORDS=Cooper%27s+Hawk&RESULTS0&Search2=Search
  (you must register to be able to enlarge the photos, but it's free)

Isaac Sanchez
Austin