[texbirds] My patch

  • From: jgstudio@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 11:24:30 -0500 (EST)

Winter has been good to me so far. We had a very good El Paso CBC on 1 January
with my best bird being a winter Calliope Hummingbird. Yesterday, I went to
Ascarate Park in urban El Paso and photographed the first Winter record of
Zone-tailed Hawk in El Paso County. Also there I saw a female Common Goldeneye,
11 Common Mergansers, and a rare-for-here) Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. I went
then to successfully  photograph an urban Lewis's Woodpecker found by Dan
Belcher. Not a bad day in the Patch! Also being seen (but not by me, yet) is a
male Costa's Hummingbird, and yet another Lewis's Woodpecker (invasion?). The
problem with an urban patch is the problem of private residences--not too
chaseable. Photos at Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89595062@N02/8341621877/in/photostream/

Good patch birding to all!
John Groves