[texbirds] Re: Mountain Plovers, Burrowing Owls, & Sprague's Pipits on King Ranch Laureles Div. - Kleberg Co.

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TLangschied@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 12:44:09 -0600

The week before Tom and I went out, I had a couple of photographers on
Laureles, and we had a dark phase Ferruginous Hawk.
On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Tom Langschied <TLangschied@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

This past week on two different trips to the agricultural area of the King
Ranch's Laureles Div. in Kleberg Co. have yielded an interesting array of
open country birds including quite a good number of raptors.
On Tuesday, 11/10, Jim Sinclair & I visited the area and found 5 burrowing
owls and 9 Sprague's pipits (with some walking beside vehicle) and 12
species of raptors (with owl 13 species) which included 5 falcon species
(crested caracara, American kestrel, merlin, prairie & peregrine falcon).
We had hoped to find the 80+ mountain plovers Jim had out there last week,
but no luck.

On Thursday, 11/12, Janice Travis & I briefly visited the area again and
did locate 26 mountain plovers. Other birds of interest sighted included 1
Swainson's hawk, 55+ black-bellied plovers, a burrowing owl, and 2
Sprague's pipits. The pipits gave nice looks as they were walking in the
grass along the road adjacent to our vehicle.

Total raptor species for the week on the Laureles div. so far would thus
be 14 which isn't too bad.

Tom Langschied
Kingsville, TX

[cid:KingRanchLogo.jpg]

This e-mail is intended for the sole use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified
that any dissemination, duplication, or distribution of this email and any
files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the
individual or entity to which they are addressed. Any unauthorized use,
disclosure or distribution of this e-mail and its attachments is
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, destroy it
immediately.

All emails sent from or to an addressee of King Ranch, Inc. or one of its
subsidiaries shall remain the property of King Ranch, Inc.

King Ranch and the Running W logo are both registered trademarks in the
United States.

Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member
Kingsville, TX

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein