[texbirds] Mountain Bluebird and Couch's Kingbird Jefferson Co YES

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "DHanson139@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:32:00 -0500

Jan and I just got in from making a run through Jefferson Co. We ran into
Chuck Davis looking as well. The Mountain Bluebird was not there at first so
we  drove just down the road and as we came back to its favorite spot it
flew across  the road and up under the sign. It is using the hollow under the
sign to hide  from rain and wind. We left there and went after the Couch's
Kingbird and ran  into John and Jana Whittle and they kindly showed us where
the bird was. We were  unable to get this bird to respond to any calls at
all. We did get pictures.  Just down the road at the intersection of McDermond
and Mason there is a  partially flooded plowed field that held a lot of
Long-billed  Dowitchers(1200+), Dunlins, and a few Stilt Sandpipers. At the
corner of Johnson  Rd and Willis Rd there is a rice field that had probably
2000 Sandhill Cranes.  They were scattered all back throught the rice field
that has tall levee's and  you cannot see near all of them until something
jumps them up.

Both Mountain Bluebird and Couch's Kingbirds were at there original spots
that were announced Saturday.

David  Hanson
FeatherFest 2015 Birding Program  Leader
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers County
Galveston Bay  Area Master Naturalist
TOS Member