[texbirds] More on the SPI Golden-cheeked Warbler

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 19:45:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

I've gotten permission from Jim Booker's friend Steve Bailey to post his
thoughts on the SPI Goldencheek, so here they are.

MB

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)

Hi Mary Beth and  Jim,
Before giving my  assessment, I must qualify it by saying that I am less an
‘expert’ on  Golden-cheeked Warbler than on most other birds.  My only
field experience  with that species was way back on 22 May 1978, when I heard
three singing adult  males and saw one of them well at Kerr Wildlife
Management Area.  That was  36 years ago and I’ve seen over 7,400 birds since
then.
Even if my memory  were recent it would be irrelevant because I only saw a
singing adult  male.  Jim also values my opinion in part because I’ve worked
with about ½  million bird museum study skins.  However, I’ve probably
handled fewer than  ten Golden-cheeked Warbler specimens and I have never
seriously studied them in  detail.  Quite possibly I have never even seen a
specimen in the plumage  shown in these photos, not because the plumage is
unusual
but because my  experience is so limited.  Okay, that having been said . .
.  .
Nice photos!  They  make identification so much more reliable in cases such
as  this.
I say it is a  Golden-cheeked Warbler, by plumage a first basic plumage
female.  Mary Beth  hit all the salient plumage characters of the face pattern
and the lack of  yellow vent or any other yellowish wash on the white
underparts.  The  presence of yellowish on the throat itself and the
‘barely-there’
 dusky streaks  in the back are appropriate for a first basic
Golden-cheeked Warbler.  I  also wonder whether the dark center streaks in the
longer
undertail coverts  further support the case for Golden-cheeked, as I think that
may be another  useful difference between Golden-cheeked and Black-throated
Green.  Plus,  of course, it makes much more sense for a young
Golden-cheeked Warbler to be on  the south Texas coast in early July than a
first basic
Black-throated Green Warbler; the fall migration timings should be very
different, with young Black-throated Green Warblers arriving much  later.
That’s my opinion, for  what it’s worth.
Cheers,
Steve  Bailey