[texbirds] Re: More on names, lists etc. (longish again).

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: segast23@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 07:52:21 -0500

Steve,
I, for one, greatly appreciate these two posts.  I learned a lot, and was
pointed to a new and valuable resource.  I actually spend quite a bit of
time working with tax lists of seven different Classes in North America
(including Mexico).  It's tough to stay up with them.

Thanks!

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 2:40 AM, Stephen Gast <segast23@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, so my last statement on my previous email said I hadn't looked at the
> statistics of differences in the lists.
>
> Well..........I wasted the last 6 hours or so looking in detail at them.
> Note - all of these numbers are plus or minus one or two - I just did this
> to get an idea of how much difference there is and not to really get a
> perfect number, however I might have gotten lucky and gotten some of them
> exact. Here goes.
>
> Clements world list stands at about 10,239. The IOC list stands at about
> 10,640 (it changes rapidly and I am not sure I had the latest)
> So the IOC has about 401 species more than Clements, however Clements has
> 38 species that IOC does not recognize, plus 9 that IOC does not include
> because they are presumed extinct. So IOC actually has 448 species that
> Clements does not have.
>
> So what about the AOU? As Jack Eitniear pointed out, that is the list that
> counts for many since that is the basis for the ABA list. Well I made one
> assumption that may not be perfectly correct, but it is maybe close.  I
> assumed that Clements and AOU were in more or less perfect agreement. So I
> could have missed a few things in the unusual situation where IOC and AOU
> agreed, but Clements was independent of both. But also with respect to the
> exact differences between AOU and IOC -  same caveat - a close but not
> perfect accounting. And if someone wants to compare Clements directly with
> AOU - let me know your results. I am done for the time being. I have to be
> productive tomorrow. So here goes again -
>
> The AOU has a published list with 2090 species for the North American AOU
> region, which includes Bermuda, the Caribbean, Central America and Hawaii.
> Of these:
> 54 would be impacted by name changes due to splits per the IOC list
> resulting in the addition of roughly 42 adds to the AOU list, with the
> remainder being species on other continents which have precedence over the
> name if split and which have not occurred in the AOU region (I did not
> research this aspect completely and there is likely errors here - but you
> get the idea). In the negative column, 2 species are not on IOC's list that
> are on AOU's, one lump (a trogon), and one presumed extinct (in Hawaii).
>
> Now,  as to name changes without affecting numbers of species, which was
> what started all this off ( well actually it was capital letters
> but.....),  According to IOC 15 taxa on the AOU list should have different
> Genus names assigned, and 4 have errors in species name endings - that is,
> a 'us' should be changed to an 'a' or vice versa at the end of the word to
> be grammatically correct in Latin.
>
> In the English name category it gets pretty strange. The IOC folks have a
> decided aversion to hyphens and to spelling the color 'gray' with an 'a'.
> And so 160 English names have been changed only to eliminate hyphens and to
> [...]

Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member
Kingsville, TX

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein