[texbirds] Re: Monk Parakeets

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 18:17:32 -0600

I don¹t have an estimate on numbers, but I can tell you they are pretty much
everywhere. When I did my local patch challenge, which is essentially Austin
from a few blocks south of the river north, in 2013, I don¹t think I had
more than a couple of sites at which I didn¹t see them at least once. They
were present in City Park along the river at least once when I went there,
and very common downtown, in the Brentwood and Crestview neighborhoods, and
everywhere east of the interstate. I don¹t get down south much, but I can¹t
think of a reason why things would be different in south Austin, given their
start around the baseball fields near Zach Scott and near Longhorn Dam.
--
Dan Smith
Dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From:  Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 1:28 PM
To:  "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [texbirds] Monk Parakeets

.
Is there an estimate on the numbers of Monk Parakeets in the Austin Metro
area? From what I've seen recently it seems widespread.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/