[texbirds] Re: Mockingbirds making out-of-area sounds (Was: Government Canyon...)

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 07:49:25 -0500

Steve and TexBirders,

While it may very well be that the Gov’t Canyon Mocker is immitating a local
sound, I’m sure you’re aware that Mockers also move around and disperse, often
bringing their natal “dialect” and sounds with them.  I wrote about a
particularly vivid example of this that occurred on Balcones Canyonlands NWR in
May 2010:

http://www.friendsofbalcones.org/chucks/335519

That was a bird which uttered an amazing array of deep South Texas/Northern
Mexico bird sounds which it could not have learned any closer than 250 miles
from that Refuge.

Chuck Sexton
AustinEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at