[texbirds] Mitchell Lake - Nov 30-Dec 1st

  • From: Mary Ann Melton <mammelton50@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 23:02:26 -0600

I birded Mitchell Lake with 2 friends yesterday and one friend today.  Truly an
amazing place.  This afternoon after the Flying Wild class, the two of us found
some new areas with different birds than the first day.
Lighting and distance did not cooperate for great images, but we were
photographing mostly to help us identify the birds we were seeing.

I have posted photos from both of us at Flicker:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryannmelton/sets/72157632146717783/

Pam and I would appreciate confirmation of the following  id's from anyone who
has time to look:

Least sandpiper???
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryannmelton/8236046417/in/set-72157632146717783
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryannmelton/8236038503/in/set-72157632146717783/

A different individual:  least sandpiper???
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryannmelton/8237054492/in/set-72157632146717783/

Mystery duck - photos may not be good enough to ID:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryannmelton/8236029783/in/set-72157632146717783/

One of two swans - we think they were muted:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryannmelton/8235963297/in/set-72157632146717783/

We think this one is a red tailed hawk, but the spotted belly band, and
relatively plain wings are confusing us a little.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryannmelton/8235948287/in/set-72157632146717783/

Thanks!

Friday, November 30, 2012 Sightings
Mitchell Lake Audubon Center
mammelton
2012-11-30 02:00
Mitchell Lake (HOTE 103)
Traveling
3 miles
120 Minutes
Observers: 3
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: We looped the ponds.
2 Lesser Scaup
1 Bufflehead
Specie Comments: First winter plumage
1 Hooded Merganser
50 Ruddy Duck
1 Pied-billed Grebe
12 American White Pelican
1 Great Blue Heron
1 Great Egret
1 Harris's Hawk
Specie Comments: Photo
1 Red-tailed Hawk
Specie Comments: Fuertes variation according to North American Raptors by
Wheeler & Clark
1 Crested Caracara
1 American Kestrel
6 American Coot
1 Spotted Sandpiper
1 Lesser Yellowlegs
1 Mourning Dove
2 Eastern Phoebe
2 Vermilion Flycatcher
1 Loggerhead Shrike
2 Northern Mockingbird
1 White-throated Sparrow
Specie Comments: Heard
2 Eastern/Western Meadowlark
3 Common Grackle

Saturday, Dec. 1st Sightings
Mitchell Lake Audubon Center

mammelton
2012-12-01 02:44
Mitchell Lake (HOTE 103)
Traveling
4 miles
180 Minutes
Observers: 2
All birds reported? Yes
Comments:
Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.4.8
2 Mute Swan
Specie Comments: We have photos
125 Northern Shoveler
1 Least Grebe
1 Double-crested Cormorant
72 American White Pelican
1 Great Blue Heron
2 Great Egret
2 Snowy Egret
3 Black Vulture
2 Turkey Vulture
1 Northern Harrier
1 Red-tailed Hawk
2 American Kestrel
4 Black-necked Stilt
4 American Avocet
3 Spotted Sandpiper
3 Greater Yellowlegs
32 Least Sandpiper
7 Long-billed Dowitcher
2 Eastern Phoebe
5 Loggerhead Shrike
3 Northern Mockingbird
1 White-crowned Sparrow
1 Northern Cardinal
1 Eastern/Western Meadowlark

Mary Ann Melton
Hutto, Texas

Mary Ann's View Nature Photography Website
http://www.maryannmelton.net

Mary Ann's Blog
http://maryannmelton.blogspot.com/