[texbirds] Mississippi Kite drama in Bedford (Tarrant county)

  • From: "JimJones-FWAS" <jjones4fwas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 17:20:52 -0500

I have been observing Mississippi Kites and their nesting activities in my
Bedford (Tarrant County) neighborhood for the last 14 years. This year was
no different. There were three pairs within 1/3 mile of my home this year,
and one pair chose to make a nest just across the street from my driveway.
They are one of my favorite species, and I cheer them on each year as they
successfully nest and raise young.

This year has a sad ending for the pair across the street. They began
building their nest in mid-May, and then settled down for their mating
rituals. The female would sit on her favorite bare branch. When the male
appeared she would call out to him. He would bring food once in a while, and
mate with her on other visits. She went to her nest sometime in mid-June.
From my driveway (about 150 feet away) I could just see her head peering at
me from above the edge of the nest.

I heard her call for her mate occasionally in those last few weeks of June
and was able to see him bring food in for her. But then he disappeared. I
never saw him after July 4th. The female had to begin feeding herself
leaving the nest unattended. She did have one nestling, but it was very
quiet most of the time. not like prior years when the nestlings would call
out with their pee-peee call whenever an adult would appear. The nestling
(now a fledgling) thrived with only one parent. I started to hear it call
out to her in the last three weeks. But the call was very weak and subdued.
When I looked for it I saw that it was beginning to venture to nearby
branches and even another tree.

Today at dawn as I got ready for my morning walk I heard an adult
Mississippi Kite calling often and loudly. I was even able to see it as it
soared over my bathroom skylight. I went outside and watched. It was the
female and she was frantic. She soared over all of the trees lining our
street and called out every few seconds. She was still doing this when I
returned from my walk about 60 minutes later.

I got my binoculars and scanned the tree with the nest. I wasn't able to
spot the nestling/fledgling. I went over to my neighbor's home and we looked
in his backyard in case the fledgling fell during the night. No luck.
Something happened to it last night. We have owls in the neighborhood,
perhaps one of them came by last night.

I know this is nature, but it still brings me down.

Jim Jones

Bedford, TX