[texbirds] Mississippi Chick update and more Pics from South Texas 7/31/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: aaodonel@xxxxxxxx, DReedster@xxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gayyork@xxxxxxxxxxxx, brendawson@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:31:04 -0400 (EDT)

Jan and I birded SPI Convention Center and the beach next door before
leaving there and going to Bentson Rio Grande SP and ending up in Olivera city
park in Brownsville(Parrot roost) on Sunday 7/28. We then went to  Resaca
de la Palma Monday morning and I got my first through 8th  Groove-billed Ani.
We also looked hard for the Yellow-green Vireo with two other  gentlemen
but we did not find it. We forgot they would be closed that day thus  no
shuttle which meant it was late morning before we got into the area where it
had
been seen the day before.

http://smu.gs/11uXnYC

On another note, WOW what a difference 5 days makes. I tried to get updated
 pictures of the Mississippi Kite chick yesterday but the little bugger
didn't  cooperate. Early he was sitting down in the nest and late he was on the
wrong  side looking into the sun. I finally caught him sitting up this
morning so there  is a five day gap in pictures. The first of the 3 I posted
shows one of the  parents sitting on the left of the nest. The next two are
just it sitting up. At  one point it had it's wings slightly spread but it had
turned so it was not  showing well. The parents have been keeping it well
fed and one of them is on  the nest above the chick early every eveing.

http://smu.gs/13ncAwc

David and Jan  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers County