[texbirds] Misc. Austin (Travis/Williamson cos.) birds August 9-10

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 11:22:36 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday evening (9 August), right at sunset, Veena Mohan and I stopped by
Brushy Creek Lake Park (Cedar Park, Williamson Co.).  I had noticed a roost of
egrets there and thought that it might be worthy of a closer look.  The roost
is in the flooded, dead trees on the north side of Parmer Lane.  Probably the
best view is to approach it from Brushy Creek Sports Park (there is a trail
along the creek that goes under the Parmer Lane bridge).  We had 1 Great Blue
Heron, 8 Great Egret, 38 Snowy Egret, 3 Little Blue Heron, 1 Tricolored Heron,
and 1 Green Heron.  A little further up from the roost, on the south end of
Brushy Creek Lake, there was a Black-crowned Night-heron.
Mid-afternoon on the 9th, I stopped by Bob Wentz/Windy Point Park on Lake
Travis (Travis Co.), but only had 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper and 3 Baird's
Sandpiper.

This morning, the 10th, Veena Mohan and I stopped by Sandy Creek Park on Lake
Travis (Travis Co.).  Highlights were a heard only flyover Upland Sandpiper and
a flock of 10 Orchard Oriole flying overhead.  Our next stop was Bob
Wentz/Windy Point Park, which was pretty disappointing with just 1 Spotted
Sandpiper, 1 Least Sandpiper, and 1 Baird's Sandpiper.  Our final stop of the
morning was at Lake Creek Trail (NW Austin, Williamson Co.) where the
highlights were 15 Least Sandpiper and 2 Least Flycatcher.

Around my NW Austin (Williamson Co.) neighborhood (approx. Anderson Mill and
Hwy 183), I heard 4 Dickcissel calling overhead as I was out walking the dog.
Later, while driving about, a Mississippi Kite was flying over Anderson Mill Rd
(between Hwy 183 and Hwy 620).  A pair of Broad-winged Hawks remain vocal in
the neighborhood (I am sure they are nesting but have not quite localized their
nest location as of yet).

Rich

Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy