[texbirds] Mirando City trip

  • From: "Judy Kestner" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 17:32:34 -0500

On a three-day visit to a private ranch in Mirando City, which lies just off
Hwy. 359 in Webb County about halfway between Laredo and Hebbronville, a
group of 7 observed some really cool birds, as well as the comet C2011 L4
(catchy name...) on both nights we were there.

Among the best birds were two coveys of Scaled Quail, gobs of Black-tailed
Gnatcatchers, Black-throated Sparrows that almost had to be swatted out of
our faces, a Common Poorwill (whose call rivalled the sight of the comet
after sunset both days), Verdin, Ash-throated Flycatchers, two Rock Wrens
and Curve-billed Thrashers.

The landscape was so very dry, but we had 54 species during those three days
and the scouting trip on last Sunday.  Many birds were singing to beat the
band, and we had some good success with drawing birds in with the Eastern
Screech Owl tape.

The weather could not have been better, or the company either!

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi