[texbirds] Migrants is Washington County- 5/13

  • From: "Darrell Vollert" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dvollert1967@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 14:15:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Texbirders,

Last night's thunderstorms grounded a nice assortment of migrants in eastern
Washington County. A check of my Chappell Hill yard this morning yielded
Eastern Wood-Pewee, Acadian Flycatcher(calling), American Redstart,
Chestnut-sided Warbler(3), and Magnolia Warbler. Pecan trees near the Chappell
Hill Methodist Church held Eastern Wood-Pewee(3), Tennessee Warbler, Yellow
Warbler(3), Chestnut-sided Warbler(3), Blackburnian Warbler(2), Canada Warbler,
and Magnolia Warbler. Trees along Old Chappell Hill Road at Ash Creek held more
Redstarts, Blackburnians, Yellows, Chestnut-sideds, and Magnolias.

Portions of the Brazos River bottom east of Chappell Hill were flooded as a
result of last night's 4.2" rain. Hundreds of Black Terns were feeding above a
flooded cow pasture. I saw 5 late Upland Sandpipers together in a field. Around
30 Eastern Kingbirds perched on fence lines. A Horned Lark sang on a fence
post. Grasshopper Sparrow was singing on a fence adjacent to a corn field.
Dickcissels are singing all over the river bottom. Blue Grosbeak, Indigo
Bunting, and Painted Bunting singing as well.

New's Year's Creek east of town is high and moving at a good clip. It may come
out of it's banks later today a really flood the river bottom. The creek is out
of it's banks on FM1155 north of Chappell Hill.

Later today I plan to check a residential area in Brenham that has some nice
big pecan trees. Should hold some more migrants.

Darrell Vollert
Chappell Hill