[texbirds] Migrants in Corpus Christi this a.m.

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 11:24:05 -0400

Hi all -

Well, my 7am flight to Houston was delayed by mechanical problems, so I went
back home for a few hours before the rescheduled 11 am (hopeful) departure.

A good thing, as the yard had a bunch of neat stuff that definitely was not
around all day yesterday, as I was working in the yard most of Tuesday.

A calling gnatcatcher was my FOS, followed by a Dickcissel bouncing from tree
to tree and then heading west.   A few minutes later, a liquid trill from the
endless blue skies announced a passing Upland Sandpiper.   Cool!

That was out front, and the backyard had its own drama - a group of scolding
Northern Mockingbirds and a Couch's Kingbird up in the back mesquite led me to
an immature female Cooper's Hawk, coolly surveying the yard for an easy meal.
I guess it is time to start putting out seed for the ECDs again.    While the
scolding was proceeding, a female Painted Bunting came in to check out the
action.

Thus far, the hummers are only Buff-bellied and Black-chinned, but I have not
been that diligent in looking for a Ruby-throat or Rufous.

I return home on Sunday, so it will be neat to see what has shown up in the
meantime.

Clay Taylor
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at