[texbirds] Migrants are down in Houston - Rice U

  • From: C-T Lee <cintylee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 14:01:58 -0500

Hi there,
radar showed high density of nocturnal migrants overhead Houston last
night. Then at about 2 am, we had a rather localized light rainstorm. When
the rain passed, radar was clear so all the birds looked like they went
down to lower elevation or landed.
Early this morning (630 AM), there were small groups of Magnolia Warblers
moving around as well as Indigo Buntings, Baltimore Orioles and 3 Upland
Sandpipers flying overhead.

At lunch, the activity really picked up.  Here are the migrants we had,
almost all at the front of the campus where all the oaks and azaleas are

Golden-winged Warbler 1 - female
N Parula 1 - male
Black-throated Green Warbler 1 - female
Bay-breasted Warbler 2 - 1 male and 1 female
American Redstart 12 - 1 male, rest female
Black-and-white Warbler 3 - all females
Magnolia Warbler 6 - males and females
Blackburnian Warbler 1 - male
E Wood Pewee - 2
Least Flycatcher 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Barn Swallow 1 - migrant
Cliff Swallow 2 - migrant
Common Nighthawk - a flock of 25 flying erratically towards the medical
center

I would bet that inland hotspots will continue to be good through tomorrow,
especially if it rains tonight or tomorrow before dawn.  The rains could be
local though.  Places like Hermann Park - Bayou Parkland might be very good.

CT Lee
houston