[texbirds] Migrants @ Edinburg Wetlands

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 20:17:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Decided to bird instead of walk on my lunch hour at Edinburg Wetlands two
days this week :-) and I'm kicking myself for not bringing my camera or
recorder  (just plain forgot it the second day), as right there in the parking
lot,  migrants were coming at me from all sides!  (This was Tuesday the 15th
and  Wednesday the 16th...)  On Tuesday a Willow Flycatcher was in my face,
and  on Wednesday a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher was in my face, both calling
vigorously, so between the vocalizations and the more obvious field marks,
there  was no mistaking what they were!  However, after doing some on-line
research, I'm taking Acadian Flycatcher off the Big Year list:  although  the
calls I recorded at Frontera match those on a recording made by Ted Parker
in Panama (and if anyone knew his vocalizations, he did), I found the
"peeps" of  Acadian and Yellow-bellied very similar, and even the literature
describes them  as such, so without a visual on the Frontera bird, I'm just not
sure.  So,  substituting the Yellow-bellied for the Acadian, and logging
Willow and Red-eyed  Vireo for the year, that brings me up to 296 for the year!

Here's a partial list of what I had over the two days (partial only in that
 I really wasn't paying attention to the resident birds):

  Black-bellied  Whistling-Duck          Dendrocygna  autumnalis
Blue-winged  Teal                       Anas discors
Neotropic  Cormorant                    Phalacrocorax brasilianus
Snowy  Egret                            Egretta thula
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo                   Coccyzus americanus
Black-chinned  Hummingbird              Archilochus alexandri
Buff-bellied  Hummingbird               Amazilia yucatanensis
Green  Kingfisher                       Chloroceryle americana
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker              Melanerpes aurifrons
YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER      Empidonax flaviventris
WILLOW  FLYCATCHER            Empidonax  traillii
Great Crested  Flycatcher               Myiarchus crinitus
Brown-crested  Flycatcher               Myiarchus tyrannulus
Great  Kiskadee                         Pitangus sulphuratus
Warbling  Vireo                         Vireo gilvus
RED-EYED  VIREO            Vireo  olivaceus
Swainson's  Thrush                      Catharus ustulatus
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
Long-billed  Thrasher                   Toxostoma longirostre
Curve-billed  Thrasher                  Toxostoma curvirostre
Tennessee  Warbler                      Oreothlypis peregrina
Nashville  Warbler                      Oreothlypis ruficapilla
Common  Yellowthroat                    Geothlypis trichas
American  Redstart                      Setophaga ruticilla
Magnolia  Warbler                       Setophaga magnolia
Yellow  Warbler                         Setophaga petechia
Chestnut-sided  Warbler                 Setophaga pensylvanica
Black-throated Green  Warbler          Setophaga  virens
Canada  Warbler                         Cardellina canadensis
Wilson's  Warbler                       Cardellina pusilla
Northern  Cardinal                      Cardinalis cardinalis
Orchard  Oriole                         Icterus spurius
Lesser  Goldfinch                       Spinus psaltria

33 SPECIES
So far:  296 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX