[texbirds] Might make it to 300 yet

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>, Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 17:37:26 -0600

Greetings All:
An update for my part in the region vs. region competition with Rich
Kostecke.  My stated goal for the year was 300 species of birds.  At the
end of October I was at 286 and getting fourteen more looked pretty iffy.
I just got done wading through the interesting events of the last two
weeks, however, and realized that I am now at 294 (assuming that the TBRC
rules favorably on the Common Crane I will consider it my answer to Rich
Kostecke's attempt at pelagic birding in central Texas).

November has kicked out Greater Scaup, Pine Warbler, Western Grebe, Horned
Grebe, Bald Eagle, Common Crane, Cassin's Finch, and Red Crossbill - an
astonishing number of additions for so late in the year.

I still have the sneaking suspicion that Rich is going to luck into a
staggering series of winter wonders in the Austin area but, who knows, he
might not.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock