[texbirds] McAllen Nature Center Hours

  • From: Tiffany Kersten <tiffanykersten@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 15:49:48 -0600

Hi Texbirders,
I just wanted to take a minute to introduce you to a RGV nature site that
you may or may not know exists. I've recently been tasked with revitalizing
the McAllen Nature Center, a 15 acre park at 4101 W Business 83 in McAllen.

The McAllen Nature Center consists of two concentric circles of trails
totaling about a half mile. Currently run by the City of McAllen Parks and
Recreation, the site was originally created in 1960 as the McAllen
Botanical Garden, but it has remained mostly closed since 2007.

Our current open hours are 8 am to noon on Saturdays and Sundays. There is
no entrance fee. It contains quality thornscrub habitat with several
cement pools throughout, but has been severely underbirded for its entire
existence due to very limited access. Look for expanded open hours as well
as guided bird walks and other programming beginning in January. I've
created a Facebook page for the site as well.

Any questions regarding this site can be directed to my work email at
tkersten@xxxxxxxxxxx

Good Birding!

Tiffany L. Kersten
Mission, TX