[texbirds] McAllen Nature Center

  • From: John Brush <jsbrush10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 11:33:22 -0600

Hello TexBirders,
I rediscovered yesterday that the McAllen Nature Center (or McAllen
Botanical Gardens) are open to the public on Saturday mornings from 8-noon.
This is the same park that the City of McAllen had been planning to build
tennis courts on.

Last year I had the pleasure of leading bird tours with my interpretive job
at Quinta Mazatlán, and want to encourage birders to visit the park now
that we have public access!

The park is 22 acres of incredibly rich native thorn-scrub (with adjacent
canals) which houses a goodly collection of birds, including some
sought-after local birds like:

- Green Kingfisher
- Common Pauraque
- Green Parakeet
- Red-crowned Parrot

The site is also in desperate need of more eBird checklists, so if you
venture out I hope you'll submit!

You can view the current eBird list from the MNC here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/tx/hotspot/L421038?yr=all&m=&rank=mrec&hs_sortBy=taxon_order&hs_o=asc

--
John Brush
McAllen, Texas