[texbirds] McAllen Green Parakeet aggregation update: moved a short distance

  • From: SeEtta Moss <seettam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:55:45 -0600

Since I posted about the large aggregation of Green Parakeets a week ago,
some local birders let me know that they brought friends from out of state
to see them at the Nolano Loop around the McColl area.  And I saw them in
that area a couple of times last week also as I found gas was cheapest
there. However I was up in Nolana Loop area last night at dusk and found
that they had moved their gathering (about 300-350 last night) to 10th
Street, just .3 of a mile north of Nolana.  For those wishing to view this
large aggregation it is best to get in the area around 5 pm or so and keep
your car windows open to listen for the loud calling.  I didn't take any
new photos or videos of the parakeets but I had a interesting video clip I
finally processed that shows the close to 500 birds in flight, a long
fluctuating line that spread across the sky.  It can be seen at my Birds
and Nature blog <http://BirdsAndNature.blogspotcom>
SeEtta Moss
Colorado birder staying in Pharr
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @