[texbirds] Matagorda County - after the front

  • From: "Bird.fried" <bird.fried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 20:47:05 -0500

Howdy Texbirders:

After the passing of the front in the earlier morning hours today, I thought I
would check some Matagorda County hot spots to see what might have blown in.
Here are some highlights.

Chinquapin Rd down to Big Boggy NWR:
Most of the good action was down toward the end of the road.  In the salt
marsh, a couple of Seaside Sparrow families were out feeding.  The teenagers,
much lighter than mom and dad, were hanging close to make sure they learned the
ropes.

There were fairly large numbers of Indigo Buntings and Yellow Warblers in the
trees and bushes along the road.  There was also a fresh batch of Dickcissel;
they seemed to be in every bush.  There were 3 Lark Sparrows mixed in with the
Dickcissel that EBird flagged along with the numbers of Dickcissel and Yellow
Warblers.  The highlights for me were FOS Northern Harrier and Blue-headed
Vireo.

Matagorda Bay Nature Center
Lots of the usual suspects here like Pelicans, Skimmers, Terns and Gulls.  The
nice finds were 5 Red Knots on the beach and a Yellow-headed Blackbird in the
bushes behind the dunes.

Citrus Rd and Bieri Rd Sod Farms
The main attraction at the sod farms were lingering Buff-breasted Sandpipers.
There were 23 at Citrus Rd and 18 at Bieri Rd sod farms.  These were flagged by
eBrid as being late.  Additionally, there were 2 dead BBSA lying in the sod
below the large power transmission lines coming from STP.  I found another bird
under the power lines last weekend, all apparently the victims of a twilight
collision with the power lines.  It seems the birds fly into the lines late in
the day or early when lighting conditions are poor. It's a real shame to see a
pile of feathers from these beautiful birds lying on the sod.

All in all a very good morning in Matagorda County.  Fall is definitely in the
air.  Good birding to all!

Bob Friedrichs
Palacios weekender

Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at