[texbirds] Matagorda County - BBSA and Bald Eagles

  • From: "Bird.fried" <bird.fried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 12:57:46 -0500

No rain this morning in Palacios but howling wind, so I decided to check the
sod farms and other Matagorda county western road locales.

There was a nice group of 55 Buff-breasted Sandpipers (BBSA) at the Saha sod
farm on Bieri Rd just north of FM 521 in Matagorda County. This seems a bit
late for this large group but the eBird filter is still set high enough not to
require details. Also of interest at the sod farm was a single Marbled Godwit
and a single White-rumped Sandpiper. A little ways down the road at the fish
farm was an adult Bald Eagle. What a majestic bird!

The Hanson sod farm on South Citrus Rd was really quiet; finally managed a
White-rumped Sandpiper and resident Horned Larks. The loop around Holzworth
Rd, a run down Robbins Slough and a detour over to Brazos Tower Rd (all south
of FM 521) yielded the following: Fulvous Whistling Ducks, more White-rumped
Sandpipers and one Baird's, good numbers of Bobwhite, a nice scattering of
Yellow-crowned Night-Herons and another adult Bald Eagle.

I'm not one to wax poetic but on this Memorial Day, the sight of our national
bird and what it symbolizes reminded me to pause and give thanks for the
soldiers who have paid the ultimate price to win and preserve our freedoms, and
the freedom of peoples around the world. God bless them for their sacrifice
and God Bless America!

Bob Friedrichs
Palacios

Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at