[texbirds] Matagorda County

  • From: "Bird.fried" <bird.fried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 18:01:56 -0500

I took the day off from work hoping that the front yesterday grounded some
passerines.  I started at the cedars down Matagorda beach.  The wind was still
out of the north at about 10 mph and the temp a little chilly.  Even so, it was
fairly quiet at the cedars except for the hordes of mosquitos; unbelievable
this early!  There was a very tired Yellow-throated Warbler that allowed a too
close approach before it moved.  There was also a Black-and-white Warbler
resting/foraging on the beach.  Later on at Chinquapin there was a Palm Warbler
but only 6 species of warblers on the day and counts of each were low.

At the Matagorda Beach jetty and lagoon there were at least 50 Sandwich Terns
showing very nicely with bright yellow-tipped bills.  There were also a lot of
Herring Gulls here, perhaps staging for a departure soon.  I usually never see
more than a handful and there were about 30 today.  No Least Terns yet in this
location.

The shorebirds stole the show today, led by the 7 species of plovers
(Black-bellied, American Golden, Wilson's, Snowy, Piping, Semipalmated and
Killdeer). Overall, there were 24 species of shorebirds scattered around
Matagorda.  Some of my FOS shorebirds included: Wilson's Plover, American
Avocet, Baird's Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Upland Sandpiper and Wilson's
Phalarope.  The Upland was a particularly nice surprise when it flushed from
the side of the road at the Triangle Turf Farm and then joined two Pecs in the
pasture across the road.

Loons are still in the bay and there are a few ducks but the Sandhills seem to
have gone this last week.  No geese either.  And Yellow-rumped Warblers and
Eastern Phoebes have gotten really hard to find.  Times are definitely a
changin'.....

Have a great weekend of birding,

Bob Friedrichs
Palacios
Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at