[texbirds] Many nighthawks gathering at Ft. Sam Houston - San Antonio - (local interest)

  • From: "Brad Wier" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "bobby_wier@yahoo" for DMARC)
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 18:20:44 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Texbirders, just posting a link below to a nice video of many nighthawks
gathering on Sunday over the open grounds of Ft. Sam national cemetery and the
adjacent golf course. An annual sight on late summer evenings as they fly in
from the west. (My brother offered his talents to the videography in an attempt
to get me to come in for dinner.) Conservative estimate of 100 birds in this
particular grouping this weekend, but there were many more in the adjacent
cemetery.
I assume these numbers are fairly common at this time of year in south Texas,
but maybe it's a local or an urban phenomenon. Presumably insects are more
plentiful over the well-watered grounds (recycled water) at the military base.
Most of these individuals seem to be lesser nighthawks, though common
nighthawks are also present; it's of course difficult to pick out markings and
they're silent. They fly very close among the headstones at the adjacent
cemetery; I wondered if they were using the glow of marble to locate flying
insects in the fading light.

See it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URIgUYKi7-0
Nighthawks at sunset
|   |