[texbirds] Re: Mantle shade and outer wing pattern on the Laredo SBGU

  • From: Martin Reid <upupa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:48:14 -0600

Dear Tony/All,
A few comments:
1) Assessing mantle tone on the Laredo bird is made more difficult since it has
only been seen/photographed on/over water, and mostly in harsh or angled
sunlight.  There certainly are some SBGUs that are darker than this bird
APPEARS to be, but it falls within the range of perceived mantle shades in my
large collection of photos of this species that I have gathered from the
internet over the past 10+ years (from Japan and Korea - ignoring vagrant
records from elsewhere).
Another factor that may come into play when contemplating what is okay for SBGU
mantle shade is the potential for selective bias.  In Alaska and Japan (and
probably Korea) SBGUs are seen in areas where hybrid large gulls are known (or
at least suspected)  to occur at a variably detectable frequencies.  In such
environments it may seem prudent (deliberately or subconsciously) to only
firmly ID the darkest SBGU types, but this then enshrines a view of what SBGU
should look like - a view that may not be accurate and may be skewed towards
the dark end of the range of mantle shade.

2) The primary pattern that Tony describes is certainly true for many SBGUs -
but it is not hard to find photos of SBGUs with the "pearls" in-line with the
P10/P9 mirrors.  Note that the Laredo bird has black only to P6 - probably not
the majority pattern, but again it is easy to find birds like this from Korea
and Japan.  Additionally, the rather limited open-wing pics that I have seen of
the bird indicate that P8 does not have a "pearl" between the black subterminal
band and the dark gray basal area.  Again this is not the majority pattern, but
a large minority of SBGUs (perhaps younger adults?) seem to have a similar P8
pattern.  This is important because it is the position of the "pearl" on this
primary that creates the overall pattern that Tony is describing.
So with no P8 "pearl" and no black on P5, the string of pearls for this
particular gull is limited to two primaries, P6 and P7, thus suppressing its
overall effect.  If you compare the thickness of the black subterminal band on
P7 to those on samples of SBGUs from its core range, I'd say there is little if
any difference.
In summary, I agree with Tony that many SBGUs have a "stepped" string of pearls
as he describes, and that this typically differs from the rather similar
pattern on Vega Gull.  However on the Laredo individual the combination of
features on the outer six primaries  (a combination that - while not common -
can be found on photos of SBGUs from the core range) is not conducive to this
kind of assessment.

3) Vega Gull can have a disquietingly similar outer primary pattern, and some
are so dark above that they would stand out next to a typical smithsonianus
Herring Gull.  However from above the black elements of the outer primaries are
truly black on both webs of each primary, whereas the outermost primaries of
SBGU have an inner web of a dark slaty shade that contrasts with the blacker
outer web.  The orbital ring color of both taxa is reddish, but on SBGU it is a
pinkish-red while on Vega it is a vermilion-red (tending towards orangish in
some).  There is much overlap in iris color, but the vast majority of SBGUs
have pale eyes while a large majority of Vegas have dusky or dark eyes.
Paler-eyed Vegas tend to have a yellowish tinge to the eye (as with
smithsonianus and other HERG-types), while some SBGUs can have an almost
whitish clean pale eye that at best would be rare in Vega Gull.  I am not a
huge fan of relying too much of structural differences since there is so much
variability within each species.  However Vega Gull is clearly a Herring Gull
type in overall structure - and more-precisely it is most like western-type
smiths and nominate argentatus than it is to eastern-type smiths and argenteus.
 On the other hand SBGU seem more like Glaucous-winged Gull in general
structure (shorter-winged; thicker tertial crescent; "dumpier") - but small
females can look strikingly different in structure (as can those of GWGU!)

The above are just my thoughts on this issue, and I have far less first-hand
experience with SBGU than Tony, so I look forward to his further thoughts on
this matter.

Regards,
Martin
---