[texbirds] Magnolia Warbler (local interest)

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:06:16 -0500

There was an out-the-window Magnolia Warbler at my place in central Austin
this morning. Magnolias are fairly common on the coast in fall but not so
much here. I also still have a Ruby-throated Hummingbird coming to my
feeders. I imagine it will depart on the strong front forecast for Friday.
About a week ago a flock of Common Grackles moved into the neighborhood to
work over the abundant acorn crop. They spent the entire day in live oaks I
can see over my computer screen. They were here all day and then vanished
and I haven't seen or heard them since.

John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory